Stellar Lumens (XLM) Forum with for newcomers and contributor's rewarded Check here

"TUTORIAL -  How to create your Stellar address, wallet and check balance
  • 25 Vote(s) - 2.92 Average

A lot of people ask on this forum how to get first lumens and how to get your Stellar address so anyone can transfer lumens to you.

How to create a wallet and get Stellar address? How to start?

If you want to use Stellar Network and lumens, you need to have your own wallet. There are some ways to have it:
  1. You can have a desktop wallet - it is still the most typical way of storing cryptocurrency, your wallet data is stored locally on your computer
  2. Mobile wallet - it is similar to desktop wallet, but you store your account data on mobile device instead of your computer
  3. Web wallet - completely different approach, your wallet data (e.g. private key) is stored in the cloud or 3rd party server infrastructure, and it makes it less secure in my opinion because if someone broke this 3rd party security, then your private key will be lost (and all your lumens as well!)
We need to explain some terms to be sure that we are on the same page:
  • public key - it is simply your wallet address, if you want someone to send you some lumens, then you should give him your public address
  • private key - it is complementary to your public key and gives you full access to your wallet, in most wallets, this part is highly encrypted, so you don’t touch your private key, but you have some form of “wallet file” or “wallet phrase” that are encrypted in some way (for example with some password). If you give someone your private key - he can do everything with your coins, so DON’T EVER DO THAT!
  • wallet - application that implements Stellar Network protocol and allows you to operate on Stellar lumens
In my tutorial we will:
  1. Download desktop wallet for Stellar Network
  2. Learn what is our address
  3. Transfer our lumens from one address to another
  4. Find a way to check our balance
Download Stellar Network wallet

We will use a desktop wallet. The easiest way to learn more about wallet is to open Stellar webpage: https://www.stellar.org/lumens/wallets/
[Image: stellar_1.png]
1. Open https://www.stellar.org/lumens/wallets/ in your favorite web browser
2. Choose “Desktop Wallets” tab
3. Choose “Stellar Desktop Client”

It is very important to always start from the official Stellar website. There are a lot of scams in the internet, so to avoid downloading something that only simulates wallet’s behavior to stole your private key, we always start navigating from the official Stellar web page.

[Image: stellar_2.png]
Click on “GET WALLET”.

[Image: stellar_3.png]
We have 3 version for 3 operating systems: Windows, Linux and MacOS. Download the wallet for your operating system, unzip it and simply run. This application doesn’t require to be installed. You can store it also on your flash drive or external hard drive (or a floppy ;p).

[Image: stellar_4.png]
Click on “Create new account”.

[Image: stellar_5.png]
Click on “Create an empty account”. We want to create a completely new wallet, so we choose this option.

[Image: stellar_6.png]
Your account information will be stored in a file. You need simply save it to your hard drive and make sure it won’t be removed accidentally. If you lose an access to this file it will be more difficult to access your account as well. Then you would have to recover your account by the private key. But if you don’t remember your private key - then you are in trouble. ;-)

[Image: stellar_7.png]
Choose some easy to remember but hard to hack password. You need to remember your password - if you lose it, you need to recover your account by the private key. Your wallet file is encrypted with this password, so don’t worry if someone gets the access to your file but don’t know the password. It would be very hard for him to actually get your private key from it.

It is a good idea to make a backup of your wallet file somewhere (external hard drive, CD-R, DVD-R, flash drive... or a floppy, you still have some, right? ;p).

[Image: stellar_8.png]
The wallet application will ask you to save your private key. It is used in case of emergency, e.g. when you lost your wallet file. You should write your private key somewhere secretly or store in tools like Keepass or 1Password (but in this case you need to remember your master password).

[Image: stellar_99.png]
And that’s it. You can find your account address on the tab that represents beginning and ending of your address. If you click on it, you can see your full Stellar address.

In our example, Stellar address of this wallet is: GAQGVZYIZ2DX56EB6TZYGBDIHCBI6FXBLSZ56HPQLNTILF72276C77G2. Make sure to save this number somewhere and don’t miss any character on the beginning or the end. You should give this address to someone when you want to get your lumens. Remember: this is a unique address created for this tutorial - your address will be different and also unique! Don’t be confused and copy your own address!

There is also information that “The resource was not found”. It means that your account is not fully activate. To activate you need to charge your account with minimum balance. Previously it was 20XLM but now the minimum balance is 1XLM. So if someone transfers only 1XLM to your account address, then your account will be activate!

[Image: stellar_9.png]
To see your balance you need to go to the “Balance” tab. Now we have 0XLM.  :)

How to transfer lumens?

To transfer lumens to your account you just need to give your Stellar address. If you transfer from the exchange, then they sometimes ask you about MEMO, but if you use your own wallet, you don’t need to use MEMO. You just give your wallet address.

If you want to transfer lumens from your wallet, simply open “Send” tab and fill the form with information about recipient (destination address, where your lumens should be sent), amount and optional MEMO.

If you send your lumens to the exchange YOU USUALLY NEED TO PROVIDE A MEMO, because exchanges usually have shared addresses and they are NOT your address on the exchange. In this case MEMO is used to transfer your money to the correct vault on the exchange.

Check your balance everywhere

If you want to check your balance, all you need to have is your address. There are services called blockchain explorers, where you can check the balance of any account you want. All transactions in the distributed system have to be public, so the information about your transactions and balance are also public.

You can check balances here: https://stellarchain.io 

For example if you would like to check the balance of the wallet we just created, you should go to: https://stellarchain.io/address/GAQGVZYI...72276C77G2

There is not too much lumens and transactions, so check some more frequently used address. I will choose it randomly, I have no idea who owns it. ;-)
https://stellarchain.io/address/GAHK7EEG...3K6BTODB4A

[Image: stellar_999.png]

As you can see there are a lot of lumens! You can also find here current value in EUR and USD and also latest transactions.

Do you like this tutorial? Let me know in the comments below!  :)
My Stellar address: GBPKZNCATMXQZZ622GZ57732XEVJCB7DDFLTJP2FXFOTJROELFNQIVSC
Thanks for the Tutorial!! Really help me to create my wallet! :)
Thanks for the tutorial. But which wallet is best for mobile Stellar wallet
03 funny 
thks for the tutorial.... but i still 0 balance on my wallet
Thanks for your tutorial buddy..it will help who haven't create their wallet
(22-01-2018, 08:53 AM)GreenWhiteGreen Wrote: Thanks for the tutorial. But which wallet is best for mobile Stellar wallet

Actually I didn't use any mobile wallet because I don't have a device with Android and couldn't really check it.  :)
My Stellar address: GBPKZNCATMXQZZ622GZ57732XEVJCB7DDFLTJP2FXFOTJROELFNQIVSC
thanks for the tutorial ... very helpful  :) :)
my stellar address

GCJ4VMERMLB7IL22ODYW7WKTSSZ7QRSYVJGAVHCPD7O5TOJ3ICDHNTZW
Thanks for the details tutorial. it is really helpful for newbies.
(21-01-2018, 05:32 PM)siggard11 Wrote: A lot of people ask on this forum how to get first lumens and how to get your Stellar address so anyone can transfer lumens to you.

If you want to use Stellar Network and lumens, you need to have your own wallet. There are some ways to have it:
  1. You can have a desktop wallet - it is still the most typical way of storing cryptocurrency, your wallet data is stored locally on your computer
  2. Mobile wallet - it is similar to desktop wallet, but you store your account data on mobile device instead of your computer
  3. Web wallet - completely different approach, your wallet data (e.g. private key) is stored in the cloud or 3rd party server infrastructure, and it makes it less secure in my opinion because if someone broke this 3rd party security, then your private key will be lost (and all your lumens as well!)
  • public key - it is simply your wallet address, if you want someone to send you some lumens, then you should give him your public address
  • private key - it is complementary to your public key and gives you full access to your wallet, in most wallets, this part is highly encrypted, so you don’t touch your private key, but you have some form of “wallet file” or “wallet phrase” that are encrypted in some way (for example with some password). If you give someone your private key - he can do everything with your coins, so DON’T EVER DO THAT!
  • wallet - application that implements Stellar Network protocol and allows you to operate on Stellar lumens
In my tutorial we will:

We will use a desktop wallet. The easiest way to learn more about wallet is to open Stellar webpage: https://www.stellar.org/lumens/wallets/

It is very important to always start from the official Stellar website. There are a lot of scams in the internet, so to avoid downloading something that only simulates wallet’s behavior to stole your private key, we always start navigating from the official Stellar web page.

Click on “GET WALLET”.

We have 3 version for 3 operating systems: Windows, Linux and MacOS. Download the wallet for your operating system, unzip it and simply run. This application doesn’t require to be installed. You can store it also on your flash drive or external hard drive (or a floppy ;p).

Click on “Create an empty account”. We want to create a completely new wallet, so we choose this option.

Your account information will be stored in a file. You need simply save it to your hard drive and make sure it won’t be removed accidentally. If you lose an access to this file it will be more difficult to access your account as well. Then you would have to recover your account by the private key. But if you don’t remember your private key - then you are in trouble. ;-)

Choose some easy to remember but hard to hack password. You need to remember your password - if you lose it, you need to recover your account by the private key. Your wallet file is encrypted with this password, so don’t worry if someone gets the access to your file but don’t know the password. It would be very hard for him to actually get your private key from it.

It is a good idea to make a backup of your wallet file somewhere (external hard drive, CD-R, DVD-R, flash drive... or a floppy, you still have some, right? ;p).

The wallet application will ask you to save your private key. It is used in case of emergency, e.g. when you lost your wallet file. You should write your private key somewhere secretly or store in tools like Keepass or 1Password (but in this case you need to remember your master password).

And that’s it. You can find your account address on the tab that represents beginning and ending of your address. If you click on it, you can see your full Stellar address.

In our example, Stellar address of this wallet is: GAQGVZYIZ2DX56EB6TZYGBDIHCBI6FXBLSZ56HPQLNTILF72276C77G2. Make sure to save this number somewhere and don’t miss any character on the beginning or the end. You should give this address to someone when you want to get your lumens. Remember: this is a unique address created for this tutorial - your address will be different and also unique! Don’t be confused and copy your own address!

There is also information that “The resource was not found”. It means that your account is not fully activate. To activate you need to charge your account with minimum balance. Previously it was 20XLM but now the minimum balance is 1XLM. So if someone transfers only 1XLM to your account address, then your account will be activate!

How to transfer lumens?

To transfer lumens to your account you just need to give your Stellar address. If you transfer from the exchange, then they sometimes ask you about MEMO, but if you use your own wallet, you don’t need to use MEMO. You just give your wallet address.

If you want to transfer lumens from your wallet, simply open “Send” tab and fill the form with information about recipient (destination address, where your lumens should be sent), amount and optional MEMO.

If you send your lumens to the exchange YOU USUALLY NEED TO PROVIDE A MEMO, because exchanges usually have shared addresses and they are NOT your address on the exchange. In this case MEMO is used to transfer your money to the correct vault on the exchange.

If you want to check your balance, all you need to have is your address. There are services called blockchain explorers, where you can check the balance of any account you want. All transactions in the distributed system have to be public, so the information about your transactions and balance are also public.

For example if you would like to check the balance of the wallet we just created, you should go to: https://stellarchain.io/address/GAQGVZYI...72276C77G2

There is not too much lumens and transactions, so check some more frequently used address. I will choose it randomly, I have no idea who owns it. ;-)

As you can see there are a lot of lumens! You can also find here current value in EUR and USD and also latest transactions.

well thats really helpfull and good! however were do i enter my wallet adress in this forum so i can get the lumen?
thanks for your help answer.

[your post been Auto-Merged, to prevent spam to abuse the Free XLM promo]

ok let me just try to reply without having all the other stuff in front of it and see if that works as well!
Thankyou very much this is good info, i have wallet
tino05 Wrote:ok let me just try to reply without having all the other stuff in front of it and see if that works as well!

You can just use a Quick Reply section on the bottom, then you can even Preview Post if you like to.  :)
(22-01-2018, 08:53 AM)GreenWhiteGreen Wrote: Thanks for the tutorial. But which wallet is best for mobile Stellar wallet

Centaurus for Android
This is interesting but there is no wallet for iOS available on the Stellar website. Probably because there is no official API for Swift/Objective-C.
Nice and helpful tutorial mate... keep up the great work.
How to Creat wallet on Android? Which one is the best for Android?
This tutorial is good, but i couldn't find the but i couldn't find the tab for "create new wallet" as you described.
Hey Chynwa! Thanks for your feedback. I have some questions so I could make this tutorial better. :-)

1. What version have you downloaded?
2. What are your possible options?
3. Could you send here a screenshot?
4. In my tutorial there is no "create new wallet" tab, there is "create new account" button. Is it what you were referencing to?

I already downloaded the newest version (3.3) and the button is on place.
(29-01-2018, 04:07 PM)siggard11 Wrote: Hey Chynwa! Thanks for your feedback. I have some questions so I could make this tutorial better. :-)

1. What version have you downloaded?
2. What are your possible options?
3. Could you send here a screenshot?
4. In my tutorial there is no "create new wallet" tab, there is "create new account" button. Is it what you were referencing to?

I already downloaded the newest version (3.3) and the button is on place.

hi.
1. I have not been able to download any yet save for Centaurus from Playstore.
2. I have also been advised to try Stronghold. yet to do so though. 
4. Yes, I was referring to the "create new account" tab
OK, nice. This tutorial is for creating a wallet using Stellar Desktop Client. Other clients may not have the same features as the client I am describing in this tutorial. Some clients create a wallet automatically on the first run, maybe in Centaurus there is the same case.
(21-01-2018, 05:32 PM)siggard11 Wrote: A lot of people ask on this forum how to get first lumens and how to get your Stellar address so anyone can transfer lumens to you.

In my tutorial we will:

Click on “GET WALLET”.

How to transfer lumens?

Well detailed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
23 help ASKING Need help with Stargazer wallet account recovery RoboMax2018 0 241 01-04-2019, 07:55 AM
Last Post: RoboMax2018
  Hot NEWS Difference between Stellar Lumens and Bitcoin Indraawagin 8 2,393 23-02-2019, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Mockingbird
12 demo2 Tutorial Trik mendapatkan 20 STR Dari Bekas Akun Stellar Tak Terpakai vickyjarmans 18 3,653 27-12-2018, 03:13 AM
Last Post: opay17
  Tutorial stellar wallet need to have tamnicefuture 1 609 26-12-2018, 01:44 AM
  Tutorial How to send/Activate XLM to stellar.org wallet from BITCOIN.CO.ID Haseo893 12 3,581 21-11-2018, 05:17 PM
05 like INFO - information need to know about stellar tamnicefuture 0 537 25-07-2018, 07:52 AM
Last Post: tamnicefuture
  INFO - keybase and stellar tamnicefuture 0 461 25-07-2018, 03:04 AM
08 search INFO - evaluation of stellar tamnicefuture 0 526 25-07-2018, 02:54 AM
  Tutorial How to Buy Stellar Lumens buyersguidex 4 1,163 21-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Last Post: pawfox
  Tutorial Get Your Stellar Wallet Secret Key Instantly Crypto 62 17,691 21-07-2018, 10:57 AM
Last Post: pawfox